The President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, has formed a committee to investigate the incident that occurred during the NBA AGC 2022.
CONFERENCE INCIDENT INVESTIGATION COMMITTEE FORMATION
Dear Distinguished Colleagues,
1. The NBA President, Yakubu Chonoko Maikyau, SAN, has established the Conference Incident Investigation Committee (the committee) to investigate the incident that occurred on the sidelines of the Nigerian Bar Association’s recently concluded 62nd Annual General Conference at Eko Atlantic City, Victoria Island, Lagos, at the venue for conference materials distribution. The inauguration took place yesterday, September 5th, 2022, during a virtual meeting with committee members.
2. Members of the committee are –
i. Olawale Fapohunda, SAN – Chairman
ii. CP Lough Simon Asamber SAN – Alternate Chairman
iii. Oyinkan Badejo
iv. Mrs. Toluwalope Aderiye
v. Ada Edozie
vi. Daniel Onwe
vii. Mujahid Muhammed
viii. Lucky Ekarume
ix. Chinyere Nworah
x. Adama Mohammed
xi. Shehu Sani Idris
xii. Oyindamola Fashakin – Secretary
xiii. ThankGod-Mina Hope Obeten
xiv. Folashade Owolabi.
xv. Tongshishak John Jude Danjuma
3. In his address at the inauguration of the committee, the NBA President stated that “the conduct of our colleagues involved in the incident borders on possible violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners and other relevant laws applicable in Lagos State.” And as a promoter of the rule of law, the NBA has a duty to ensure that such incident does not reoccur and all those who are complicit are brought to book.
4. The committee was therefore handed the following terms of reference:
i) Investigate the said incident; the immediate and remote cause(s) of the same, and identify the persons involved therein.
ii) Make recommendations concerning the matters stated above, taking into consideration the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), Constitution of the Nigerian Bar Association, 2015 (as amended in 2021), Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners 2007 and other relevant legislations, policies and guidelines.
The committee is expected to submit its Report (Findings and Recommendations) within a period of 4 weeks from the date of the inauguration.
5. The NBA President thanks members of this committee for accepting to serve.
AKOREDE HABEEB LAWAL
National Publicity Secretary, Nigerian Bar Association