The gunmen who killed a Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps officer, Segun Ayebulu, along Oke Ako Road in Ekiti State’s Ajoni Local Council Development Area, have released the three kidnapped relatives after receiving a N5 million ransom.
The kidnappers allegedly called the family on Sunday and demanded N30 million in ransom, but later reduced it to N10 million.
Following the family’s pleas, the ransom was later reduced to N5m on Tuesday evening.
According to a family source, the three abductees, who included the slain officer’s five-year-old and eleven-year-old children as well as a relative, were released around 5 p.m. on Wednesday after the ransom was paid.
“They were released this evening after the family paid about N5m around a bush in the Ayede axis. The suspects also collected N100,000 for recharge cards, sachets of milk and alcoholic drinks,” the source said.
Confirming the development, the Regent of Oke Ako, Princess Tinuade Ogunbiyi, said, “My people called to inform me that they have been released. I cannot say how much was paid to secure their release.”
The Corps Commander, Ekiti State Amotekun Corps, Brig. Gen. Joe Komolafe (retd), also confirmed that the three persons who were whisked away by the kidnappers on Saturday had been released.